In light of Global Mala this weekend and the impending 108 Sun Salutations (Surya Namaskara A) I wanted to share a visualization for each pose that I found both funny and enlightening. These are from the book Downward Dog, Upward Fog by Meryl Davis Landau. In this book, the storyteller, Lorna, does not like Sun Salutations. I personally have a love-hate relationship with them (all 108, that is). Love the way they make me feel, but start to hate them around #25. But then an amazing thing happens, at about #75… I start to link with the energy of all the people around me and just flow. It becomes effortless and I love them once again.
- Position one: Palms together at my chest. I connect with the loving energy inside my heart
- Position two: Stretching my arms out, up, and back. I envision the warmth of the sun and indeed the entire universe dancing on my face.
- Position three: Folding forward toward the ground. I expand my appreciation to all of Mother Earth.
- Position four: Left leg back, left knee on the floor, back arched, arms stretching up. I remember that even when I feel low, I’m always connected to my higher self.
- Position five: Both legs back, arms straight in a plank. I get in touch with the inner strength that never leaves me.
- Position six: Lowering knees, chest, and chin to the ground. I remember to be humble around other people, since they, too, are extensions of the universal energy.
- Position seven: Pelvis to the floor, chest rises up in a cobra pose. I extend my sense of oneness to all the animals in the world.
- Position eight: I make the upside-down V that is Downward Dog. I can’t remember what Miss Gumby said about this one, so I just give the universe a quick, friendly wave of my butt.
- Position nine: Left leg forward, right knee on the floor, back arched, arms stretching up. I start to rise to my full potential.
- Position ten: Folding forward as in position three. I remember to pause to gather my inner resources before taking action.
- Position eleven: Stretching up and back. I open to the full universal energy once more.
- Position twelve: Palms together at my chest. I realize this higher power always resides inside me.
This Saturday we will only be doing a 10-step Surya Namaskara (skipping position 4 & 9 above). But I thought this visualization was too good not to share!
Global Mala 2011
Location: Vulcan Park
108 Sun Salutations with a view!
There will be a kids circle, pre-natal sun salutations, and a drum circle! Come one, come all!
Free event! For a small donation you will receive a water bottle and/or a Sweet Om Alabama t-shirt.
See you Saturday!